‘Go and make disciples of all nations.’
Each September at The Good Shepherd, Year 5 and 6 students, from any faith or none, are invited to join the Ethos Team; a group of children who meet each week to act as prayer leaders. Their role is to inspire and encourage others to live out and respect the school mission and values by their words and actions and to learn more about prayer and the Gospel values of Jesus.
The meetings vary each week, but always include a reflection, along with a praise and worship song as the group gathers, and a prayer, often led by one or more of the children.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Ethos Team
- Being aware of the changing liturgical seasons, visiting classrooms to help with monitoring of the liturgical colours and seasonal prayers for the RE tables.
- Learning about and experiencing types of prayer, for example Lectio Divina and the Examen; then going to each class to share the prayer with the other children.
- Planning and leading assemblies.
- Preparing for Mass e.g. setting up the Mass, reading etc.
- Representing The Good Shepherd at the annual Diocesan School’s Mass and taking part in the Advent and Lent Services at Northampton Cathedral by learning hymns, prayers and readings.
- Discussing ideas about how to further involve the school in Ethos activities.
- Learning about Current Church happenings e.g. the canonisation JH Newman, The Year of the Word.
- Praise and Worship parties.
- Helping to organise and lead key initiatives e.g. ‘March a Mile for Missio’ and the Shoebox Appeal.
Our Ethos Team is lead by Mrs R Darwin